This year is a huge milestone for my family. All 3 kids are in primary school, and this means breakfast is served at 6.15 a.m. in the morning. While I have a very capable helper, she is limited to the breakfast dishes she can come up with at that hour. I certainly do not want her or myself up at 5 a.m. to sieve flour and bake bread for breakfast! And it’s not possible to come up with a complete sausage/egg/ham with banana waffles at that hour!
So I was pleasantly surprised when I found this breakfast dish that I can prepare the night before!!! According to the recipe, all I need to do is prepare everything the night before, let it slow cook through the night, and in the morning…. wooohoooo, you get a nice breakfast dish! This is a Everything-Also-Can Egg Casserole. (adapted from Cincy Shopper)
She used a slow cooker, while I used a Magic Pot or Thermal Pot that slowly cooks the food without electricity or pressure. The reason why I say it’s a “everything-also-can” dish is purely because you can add whatever you have in your fridge or pantry!
The most vital ingredient is the eggs and potato and cheese. For the potatoes, the original recipe called for Hash Browns. But that’s not easily available here (and pretty expensive), so I made do with Thin Potato Slices. All other ingredients can be any vegetables or meat you have. These include: Capsicums, Tomatoes, Onions, Bacon, Luncheon Meat, Ham, Mushrooms etc.
On the day I made my casserole, I had these in my kitchen, so I used them:
Boil a small pot of water with a pinch of salt. When the water is boiling, put the mixed vegetables in and bring to a quick boil. Drain and put aside.
Cut the Potatoes into thin slices and boil them in that same pot of water till slightly cooked. (you don’t need them soft and mushy, but just cooked is great) Drain and put aside.
Chop all meats and other vegetables to your preference. If you like to taste them chunky, you can cut them up in small chunks.
Prepare your Egg Mixture. In a medium sized bowl beat eggs and milk together. Season with some salt and pepper.
You are now ready to layer your casserole!
Drizzle some olive oil at the base of your thermal pot and put a layer of sliced potatoes.
Add half your bacon. Add half your onions. Add half your mixed vegetables. Add half your cheese. And repeat. Add remaining sliced potatoes. Add remaining bacon. Add remaining onions. Add remaining mixed vegetables. Add remaining cheese.
And pour egg mixture over your casserole.
Turn on medium fire and bring the casserole to a boil. Do NOT stir the pot! When you see the casserole boiling, switch off the fire and put the pot into the thermal holder. Wash up, and go to bed!
In the morning, you will see a softly cooked egg casserole. Cut and serve accordingly! Trust me, this dish is so so simple, and it’s really up to you what you wanna add into the dish!
- 3 Medium size pototoes (skinned and sliced thinly)
- 150g shredded Parmesan cheese (cheddar is fine too!)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 250g mixed vegetables
- 3 strips of bacon (chopped)
- 100g ham (i used leftover apple-baked ham) (chopped)
- 6 eggs
- 100g milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Boil a small pot of water with some salt. Put in the mixed vegetables and bring to a boil. Drain and set aside. Keep the boiled water in pot.
- Put sliced potatoes into pot and bring to boil. Potatoes should be cooked, but not soft and mushy.
- Preparing Egg Mixture - Beat Eggs and Milk together. Add Salt and Pepper
- Preparing the casserole - Drizzle Olive Oil into the Thermal Pot. Line the base with sliced potatoes.
- Add half the bacon
- Add half the onions
- Add half the mixed vegetables
- Add half the cheese
- Add remaining sliced potatoes
- Add remaining bacon
- Add remaining onions
- Add remaining mixed vegetables
- Add remaining cheese
- Turn on Medium Fire, put on the pot cover and bring casserole to a boil. Do NOT stir the pot.
- When it boils, put pot into the Thermal Cooker. Let it cook through the night.
This is a start of a series of Easy Breakfast dishes we can make from our humble kitchens.
Join me if you have an easy Breakfast dish to share!